Tips for purchasing the right domain
It’s not so easy these days to find a good domain, most of the good ones are taken. When buying your domain these are some of the things you will want to consider.
- I always tell people “before you name your business make sure you can buy yourbusinessname.com“. You don’t want to have a name that someone else owns. It’s not the end of the world if you can’t get your name .com, but it would make it easier for your customers to find you.
- Buy domains that are easy to type and remember. Make sure you get a short version to give to your customers. We bought wetwebsitedesign.com and the short version we give to customers is 7wet.com.
- Buy .com if you can, it carries the most weight and respect.
- Make sure the domain you buy is not trademarked. You can check to see here uspto.gov
- Try not to by domains that are similar to other sites. These days that’s harder then ever.
- Don’t get a domain with hyphens.
- Buy Your domain (yousite.com) for ten years. This helps the search engines know that your planning on sticking around long term. Some companies offer to sell more than ten years. It is not necessary for you to purchase more then ten years. this is just their way of getting more money.